Hair coloring can be a great way to cover up gray hair, add vibrance to your current hair color, or get the hair color that you’ve always wanted. Read on for additional information about hair coloring to ensure that your hair color turns out the way you want it to.
Types of Hair Color
- Temporary- Color only lasts for one shampoo
- Semi-Temporary- Color will last about five shampoos.
- Demi- Permanent- Will last about six weeks.
- Permanent- will completely change hair color. Touch-ups are needed about every six weeks.
How Hair Color Works
Hair color opens up the outer layer of the hair to allow the color to penetrate the root of the hair. The different types of hair colors will penetrate the hair in different ways, leaving a different color. To permanently change hair color, an oxidation chemical reaction needs to take place. Hair color comes in a variety of creams, gels, and shampoos.
Things to Remember About Hair Color
- What you see on the package or in the tube itself is not what your actual hair color will be. The color will change a lot when it is actually put on your hair, so choose a color that you will be okay with if it is a little different than the color on the package.
- Know the numbers. Hair color is assigned a Level ’number’ from 1 to 10 with 1 being black and 10 lightest blondes.
- Try to never do your first coloring at home. Go to a professional stylist to find out what will look best. After you have chosen a shade that is just right for you, it might be possible to recreate that same shade at home.
- Never judge a hair color on what looks good on another person. Pick what looks best on you.
Choosing a Hair Color
When you first start coloring your hair, you will want to choose a shade that is as close to your natural color as possible. It is unrealistic to think that you can go from dark brown hair to blonde hair in one hair coloring. The coloring process takes time to get the desired effects. You will also want to choose a hair color that compliments your skin tone. If you have a dark complexion, you will probably not want to go platinum blonde. If you have very fair skin, doing a dark black color would probably not be the best decision. Experiment and find out what makes you look and feel your best.